Tuesday 15 October 2013

Blog Quest 1: Emotional Contagion

       As one of my favourite game titles of all time, Bethesda studies Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is one of the few games I have played during my life that to this day pops up during the oddest and most wonderful times.  Although this blog will be about the emotional effects this game had on me during the story, the game had already caused me emotional trauma before it was even installed.  After learning of the game in summer of 2006, I have never had more of a desire to purchase and play any game.  So after a trip down to EB games, I had the copy in my hand and I was ready to explore the massive world that was Cyrodil.  However, with only an outdated computer at my disposal, I could barely achieve a decent FPS even at the lowest of settings.  I was crushed.  Seeing the look in my eyes however, my mother agreed that it was time we update our old junker PC, to a beautiful gaming rig.  With some help from our techie friend and a few hundred dollars later, I was ready.  From the starting cinematic of Emperor Uriel Septim VII telling us of Oblivion, I knew I was in for the ride of my life.  



       Being a fan of the Lord of the Rings series (Particularly Legolas), I immediately chose to be an Wood Elf, specializing in Archery and Sneaking.  The tutorial mission and character creation was very enjoyable, but these were not the elements that made me excited to venture on my quest.  This award goes to the interaction with the objects in the jail cell before any dialogue even begins.  Grabbing and moving the chains, punching the rotting rib cage, and picking up something so minuscule as a wooden spoon made me antsy with excitement as the game was so incredibly interactive and detailed.

       While still in the training mission, the Emperor and his personal body guards "The Blades" help to guide you through the underground passageway to safety.  At this point in the game, I was really thinking that these men would be there to guide me through my quest.  Although I was partially right about the Blades, nothing could have prepared me for the shock of what was to come.  While protecting the Emperor from a league of unknown assassins, the player is pulled aside and revealed what their journey will be. At this point my jaw dropped as the emperor is stabbed in the back by a hidden assassin.  I could not believe my eyes.  I reloaded multiple saves to attempt and glitch the Emperor and allow him to live, but my efforts were in vain.

Such an influential character lost so soon in the game.

       As my tone may suggest, I was quite upset at the lose of the Emperor.  The game makes you feel as though you have failed, before you are even done the tutorial quest!  This feeling of dread was soon masked by a feeling that I can still remember too this day.  Leaving the sewers and entering the main land of Cyrodil just seemed to open up a whole new world of gaming that I had never experienced before.  

Cue heart stopping in 3..2...1... Wow 

      Never in a game have I just sat and looked, not knowing where to go as there was such a wide open world in front of me.  At this point I can remember calling my Mom into the room to see what her investment was for. Her response of "That looks nice" clearly showed the lack of interest in something that brought me such joy.  I continued the game by meeting the Blades and continuing on the main journey and defeating enemies as I went.  As I played however, one thing was always in the back of my mind. How on Earth did they fit so many side quests in one game! I was hooked on any and every quest I could get my hands on.  At times I forgot all about the main quest line with Martin and Jauffre.  A wonderful memory I have of the game took place at the towering fortress Cloud Ruler Temple located north of Bruma and home to the blades.  It was a calm night in the game and as I walked around the area equipped in my Blades Armour, I witnessed a view of the night sky over Bruma that made me feel so at ease and peaceful.  It was as if I had found my own little slice of heaven in the land that was constantly plagues by Oblivion gate and Daedra.  I screen shotted that image so I could always have it as a desktop background.

Not the Original Screenshot, but still beautiful. 
    I could not mention the Daedra and Oblivion gates without quickly touching on the emotinal scars that were left from my first encounter with these monsters.  The player learns they must seek out a man in the city of Kvatch.  Thinking nothing of it, I journeyed to this area, only to find that an Oblivion gate had opened in the city!  I closed the gate outside of the cities gates with little problem, upon entering the city however, I was greeted with death and maimed bodies littering the streets.  It was a site that would only be matched in gore when discovering the body of Lucien Lachance.  Both of these scenes were some of the goriest I have witnessed in a video game up until that point in time.  It made me fear what the designers might have in store for me next.  
The Battle of Kvatch Aftermath

The Hanging Body of Lucien LaChance.  It still gives me shivers.


    Although I could mention the many other instances in Oblivion that have cause such a wide array of emotions, I feel as though I should conclude this blog by mentioning one that I am sure is prevalent in every players mind who has completed the game.  The final battle in the Imperial City.  This final brings together many of the NPC's who you have become so close to the player, in an all out war to finish the Daedra.  It is such a difficult mission to begin, as I was well aware that many of my favourite characters would not make it through the fight.  It was also not uncommon for me to restart the mission twenty minutes in because my I felt that I had lost too many men and the story would not finish properly without them present.  In the final play through of the quest, I had only lost Baurus, who had been a loyal Blade since the beginning of the game.  I entered the next segment of the fight to witness one of the most awe inspiring moments in a game.  The final boss, Mehrunes Dagon.  A towering beast, I felt so hopeless to defeat him.  I had no idea what I was supposed to do so I did the most viable option. Run!  I made a straight sprint for the Temple, only to have a cutscene cement the Elder Scrolls IV as one of my all-time favourite games.  So many words from epic to jaw dropping can be used to describe the final fight between Martin Septim (or Akatosh, the dragon he becomes) and Mehrunes.  It is the perfect end to such a great storyline.  I will admit that I almost shed a tear as my quest came to an end, leaving so many fallen comrades in the wake of all the destruction.  It is a game that has forever changed my view on the feelings and emotions that can be brought on by characters generated on a computer screen.  I would pay anything to play it for the first time again.

So. Awesome.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment